Before you stock up on DEET . . . which is poisonous to YOU too . . . here are six all-natural repellents from Care2.com. The Cat Nip is just bizarre and kinda stinky though...
1. Citronella oil. A lot of us smell a citronella candle and immediately think of barbecues. But you can actually buy pure citronella essential oil and rub it right on your skin, which is more effective than using candles.
2. Soy oil. Studies have shown that soy oil is just as effective as DEET. Plus, it makes a great body moisturizer . . . and it's also supposed to slow down the growth of body hair.
3. Catnip. The essential oil in catnip was shown in one study to be TEN TIMES as effective as DEET in keeping mosquitoes away.
4. Neem seed oil. It comes from a plant that grows in India. And Malaria researchers have found it repels mosquitoes more effectively than DEET.
5. Lavender. This is another traditional repellent that works great . . . and smells great too. Just take pure lavender oil and rub it on your skin, like with the citronella.
6. Garlic. Eat fresh garlic until it comes out of your pores, and mosquitoes won't touch you . . . but no one else will want to either, so there's that