TAMPA, Fla. (TBO.com) — An unused Ybor City landmark, the neighborhood’s largest vacant building, could find new life if a proposal now percolating comes together.
The Oliva Tobacco Co.’s warehouse on Palm Avenue has been an Ybor City fixture for more than a century, surviving a fire that destroyed much of the area in 1908.
But the last 15 years haven’t been so kind. The Oliva family relocated their company’s offices to West Tampa in 1999, leaving the warehouse largely empty.
Several attempts to revive it, both as a hotel and as a grassroots theater and arts center, failed to bear fruit.
The effort now under discussion would rehab the building into a mix of ground-level retail space and loft apartments.
Photo Credit TBO.com