Holiday, Fla. (970 WFLA/AP) - Health officials are trying to determine whether a 4-year-old Florida boy died from bacterial meningitis.
Amonti Saunders died at a hospital Sunday hours after falling ill at his home in Holiday. Officials at the Pasco County Health Department say tests results are expected soon.
Rachel Edwards told the Tampa Bay Times (http://bit.ly/1kCPKVQ ) her son's head started hurting on Saturday while they were making Christmas cookies. Edwards said she didn't have a thermometer, but his forehead was hot to the touch. She put a cold rag on his head and alternated giving him children's Tylenol and Motrin throughout the night. The boy also complained that his legs hurt.
Around 3 a.m., Edwards said, the boy's fever broke and he was sweating. She went to back to bed. But the fever was back when he woke up at 7 a.m. He crawled out of his room because his legs were in such pain. She said her son had purple splotches on his face and arms.
"I knew something was really wrong," she said.
She put him in a car and took him to a nearby fire station. He was loaded into an ambulance. At the hospital, nurses wheeled him into a trauma unit, where he grew listless and his tongue swelled.
Edwards said she was asked to step out of the room while doctors did chest compressions.
"I couldn't believe what was going on," she said. "It was so fast."
Edwards and health officials are waiting for test results.
Meantime, as a precaution, the Safari Christian School day care center the boy attended was closed on Monday for cleaning and children who were in contact with him received vaccinations. The school reopened on Tuesday.
No one is sure where he contracted the disease.
Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, headache, stiff neck, rashes and confusion.